Why online classes are useless to hands on people

Old 6 Comments on Why online classes are useless to hands on people 26

I am a student at Canadian Valley Tech Center. I have some labs i gotta do and some online course. The teacher acts like this course is a million dollar course. You have to use Microsoft Silverlight to run the videos,simulations,quizzes,etc. There are some kids that can learn interactively, but i am a hands on person. I need to ACTUALLY work on a physical system. You would think kids would rather be on the internet than read a book, but i think the book would be more interesting than the online course. Kids shouldn’t have to sit in front of the monitor all day listening to boring videos over old technology. I understand its not going to be as fun as a video game or a sports game,  but they could probably make it a little interesting. Eli the Computer Guy makes every video interesting. I can’t quit watching the video where he dropped the Ipad mini 3 floors onto the hardwood floor. They need to work on their videos a lot. No high school student is going to want to watch a documentary for 4 hours a day for 7 days. Yep 7 days we got to do it on the weekend to because the school should know that kids don’t have stuff they’d rather do. i know some people find it useful, but there is nothing actually right there is so many glitches and bugs on this course you can’t even install a SATA drive in 1 of its simulations. I could make a whole bullet point list of why online classes suck, but i only have an hour left, and i got a few videos I need to sleep through.

dominic1995

I'm a senior in High School. I live in oklahoma. I am currently in Votech for Computer systems. I plan on combining the knowledge of computers with the art that is working on cars. so you might buy a car where the steering wheel boots into XP, when you start the car lol

1. Jay November 20, 2014 at 10:09 am

Sounds like your talking about TestOut?

I hate that method of learning as well. My school made me use it for two courses.

• dominic1995 November 20, 2014 at 10:19 am

yes that is what i am talking about

2. dominic1995 November 20, 2014 at 10:36 am

Its boring. The only reason i took this class is because i wanted to figure out how take a computer apart and put it back together. i have done that a lot and i cant do security Linux or anything else cause the teacher is retarded

3. Martin Lehner November 20, 2014 at 6:09 pm

So you’re learning how to take a computer apart and put it back together from a video ? No hands on physically actually taking a computer apart with a screwdriver ?

4. Joshua November 23, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Go onto Craig’s list and find free computers for a good home. If you cant find one of them find a cheap 30 dollar computer. They are all over the place. It may not use the latest components but the concept from windows 98 to today are all the same. Laptops are way different then desktops due to every thing integrated.

5. G7OEA November 29, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I am one of these “hands on learners” better know as Bodily-Kinesthetic. I am dyslexic and find reading a book difficult as the words don’t flow. If a video tutorial is well presented I pick up mere information than reading the book. I recently dud a cisco course online and the presenter was monotonic, dry and boring. I failed the course.

Watching some of Eli’s tutorial have extended my knowledge in the real world. I have even downloaded some using a Firefox plugin (sorry Eli) so I can pause and rewind the video as I play along.

Maybe you think you are a physical learner but actually are not. Most people are a mixture. The link below may help

Regardless of how you taking information the fact that you are still eager to learn is commendable. It is annoying especially in the UK to see people who finish their secondary education and think that that is it. there is nothing more they can or want to learn.