The Problem with Android Wear

Old 10 Comments on The Problem with Android Wear 23

I was one of the first people to receive a Samsung Gear Live from ordering from Google Play, and frankly I wasn’t sure what to think of it at first.  The real reason I bought it was so I could talk about it on my show and I really didn’t feel a huge need for this type of device.

When I first started playing with it I found it to be a bit confusing and not as useable as I had expected it would be, but after a few days it started to grow on me.  After a week or so I became convinced it was one of the best new devices I had seen in a long time.  Once you get used to it and figure out what it’s doing it becomes a genuine marvel.  Once you can grasp the idea that you don’t tell it what you want, but rather it tells you what you need it becomes a valuable form of communication.

Voice recognition is amazingly accurate, and once you figure out the proper sentence structure you find that it really is easier talking to a device rather than trying to type.  For a few weeks I was a proud proponent not just of the idea of wearable’s, but of the current generation of them.

That was until… I took it off.

Everyday for a few weeks every morning I would put it on, and then at night I would throw it on the charger.  I found the process no more annoying then the charging rituals I have to go through with my smartphone and didn’t think much of it.  I just went through the routine like clockwork until… frankly I’m not sure when I stopped.  I guess there was just one morning when I was in a hurry and didn’t put it on.  This apparently led to two days, and then three, and now we’re two… maybe three weeks since I’ve worn it.  There was no moment where I fell out of love with the smart watch.  It’s a great little device that has everything that should be required to be revolutionary, and yet for another day it has sat collecting dust on the charger.

This is the problem with the current batch of wearable technology.  The fact is that they are not a required part of life.  I always have my smart phone with me because if my wife calls she’s wants me to pick up.  My iPad is vital because I use it to research material and keep up with news and such. The same goes fro my Kindle.  The smart watch on the other hand is just another gadget.  I provides functionality, but nothing that is really needed.  If I can literally forget I own a device for weeks at a time it doesn’t bode well.

Again I really think the Samsung gear Live is a nifty device, but the reality is I’ll probably only really use it any more as a demo unit on my show.

Eli Etherton

I am Eli "the Computer Guy" and have been in the tech industry for approx. 20 years doing all kinds of odd projects. I started as an electronics tech in the US Army, worked in corporate IT during the IT Boom, was an individual consultant and grew my tech shop to have numerous full time employees and supported small business clients with computer repair/ server maintenance/ web development/ surveillance systems/ telephone systems until the great recession. After that I started creating video training on all the topics I know and now have a YouTube Channel with over 500K subscribers. I am the founder of GeekBrainDump.com and my plan is to create a tech "news" site that I would actually find useful if I was still in the server room.

1. John August 27, 2014 at 9:20 pm

True words, Eli.

2. Chris August 28, 2014 at 6:50 am

Yikes! That’s a rather expensive toy!

The thing I worry about, living in Houston, is that due to the humidity I tend to not wear any watch – why would I wear a smart watch?

Beyond that I’m anti-Google right now. Will see what Apple has to offer soon… and how much it costs.

• Eli the Computer Guy August 28, 2014 at 6:55 am

Compared to my Google Glass that’s collecting dust it’s a pittance 😉

• Chris August 28, 2014 at 7:42 am

I ride a scooter – I could totally put Google Glass to use, but again – it’s Google.

• Chris Banzet August 29, 2014 at 10:48 am

I’m anti-Google now thanks to their Google Maps on my Android Smartphone Notes 3. When I’m driving I tend to use Google Maps since I’ve learned to hate Wayze, and now I find myself yelling in Japanese at my Google Maps as well. I’ll hit the command and say “Drive to 123 ABC Street(generalizing) in Vienna, VA” and instead of taking me to 123 street, it takes me to Bob’s Hamburger Joint 15 miles in the other direction.

Google Maps doesn’t come back and say, hey we can’t find this location, oh by the way Bob’s burger joint is a paying advertiser with us and here is his address. I mean, IF you are hungry…. Instead it simply pulls up the map and attempts to get you to drive there…

Also, if you manually type in the street address, then it pulls up the street, you press OK, then it pulls up another tab, information verifying that address, you say OK again, and then it pulls up another informational bar below the map with the miles and ETA and your press OK again and then one FINAL “DRIVE TO” button pops up and you FINALLY get to see the map and where to go… Not to mention the directional changes where it says take a left until you are halfway through that left turn and it changes saying nope go right instead!! Here comes the Japanese words as I yell expletives around that one way street and attempt to turn around…

Yeah Google Maps can increase blood pressure by a good 30% on some days.. 😉

3. Chris Banzet August 29, 2014 at 10:37 am

However, there are people like me who it becomes a true tool in their work environment. I’d like to add a testimonial for the watch even though I am strategically awaiting the release of the new Gear 3 watch before purchasing one.

I’m a copier dealer, and it never fails, I’m always down inside a client’s machine and my phone rings. I have to put down all my stuff, jump up and answer it, only to find out its the same marketing guru company with their automated phone scripted sales calling tool, letting me know that I have to block yet another one of their 500 listed phone numbers, and growing!

My clients have a tendency to write me on our ticketing software that posts as either a text message or an email. so its nice to be able to see at a quick glance what’s inbound without having to actually stop what I’m doing to update myself.

Now the problem… Gear 2 is just so simple and limited that it doesn’t have a value yet. I think we’ll “finally” gain value around Gear 5 and have a HUD display set of matching glasses and the smartphone will become an “in the purse” or “Wear on a belt” type of device that marriages with the watch/glasses before its truly a necessity item.

Good post Eli… 🙂

4. ebey August 31, 2014 at 5:04 am

Its a life saver for people who travel , if it has its own internet connection

5. ebey August 31, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Using maps using phones is a battery drainer …no matter how the good they say battery is

6. moaj September 29, 2014 at 1:12 pm

i feel like that Wearable device is going to wrong direction
    they are at best unnecessary accessory so of we compared to the old accessory like watch (which now lost it impotante after the mobile phone) it is still has a good market share essentialy because of it battery that can last for years without charging which make it less of trouble than charging it every day and no matter what an old desinged leather watch will beat any electronic watch in looks and the mean reason people own wearable accessory is looks
    so as long Wearable device dont add new function that smart phone can not do while keeping in mind the battery and an elegant
    look it is just rubbish

7. Warren Galloway October 27, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I saw the Samsung Gear and I was not impressed. I’m a Fossil watch love and I bought a Brain Watch just for the LCD display (mainly to look cool at clubs when I went dancing back then). The LCD display on the Fossil Brain watch was crap.

Point being, I wore the watch MAYBE 7 times. It didn’t feel ‘classy’ nor did it look. I love the Fossil Blue Face watches any way.

Point being, with having to charge my ‘smart watch’ daily and NOT just tossing it into the thingie bin where I kept my truck keys and wallet, that was a little, ehhh…

The thing is, like Eli said, if you an not be bothered to remember to grab you new nifty device to use even the basic features, what’s the point of having it?

Sure, ti sounded nice from the get got, but being the early adopter of tech until 2012, I’ve learned to sit things out. iPad one was great, passed on it. iPad 2, PERFECT. iPad 3 PERFECTO! My refresh will be 2016. Apple does not know the refresh rate for their tablet products. It is not the same for their phone devices.

Once their Apple Phone comes out, i can see a LOAD of complaints coming out.

1. The icons are too small to tap.
    2. Is there an easier way to dim or lighten the screen?

But even more, which they have not addressed:

3. How long will one full charge last on the Apple Watch?

Number 3 is my main concern. To some it is “Okay to have to charge it like you charge your cellphone daily.” to me, that is UNACCEPTABLE and I know Daddie Steve Jobs would agree.

If I can not get at least TWO DAYS of out of the device with normal usages as a watch, WHY would I buy it?

And I can hear some retorts “Then why buy such a device if you are going to use it only as a watch? You should just get a regular watch.” Think about it, that’s exactly right. Noe think about all those who want to get it and will get it and realize they have to charge it like their cellphones just for REGULAR use?

You’re not going to use it everyday to check your heartbeat/heartrate.

You can download http://www.cardiio.com and do that now.

I’m not here to bash on the smart watch, but I know what I want, regardless of price.

I do hope apple gets it right. But we have to wait and see.

You can read my view on the smart phone tech tech here.