Question For Eli

Old 7 Comments on Question For Eli 24

I know that I can send a question to faq@geekbraindumb.com but If feel that this question would be more appropriate if I asked it here.

I saw you videos on The End of Life of Windows XP and how with all the hackers out there are creating viruses for XP and when the end of life comes, all bloody hell is going to unleash on Windows XP.  But why hasn’t bloddy hell rained apon windows 2000, 98 or 95?  Why hasn’t anything happened to Windows 3.1?  It seems like all of the hackers forgot about them, hell they might even be the most secure operating systems in the world by now.

Joe Lunsford

contact me at AskJoeLunsford@outlook.com call or text me at 241-810-4977

1. Shane Plunkett August 19, 2014 at 2:31 am

Its not ‘viruses’ that is the concern with EoL its potential back doors and un patched vulnerabilities that would allow easy access to the system for a ‘hacker’. I think you need to clarify in your mind what an exploit, trojan, virus, worm etc actually do and you will come to a better understanding why a non patched OS is a concern.

In my industry background the primary concern for EoL is security compliance. This includes PCI DSS, Commmon Criteria and other policies that apply within the financial industry. If you didnt know already a vast majority of ATM’s run on Windows XP. XP goes EoL these machines should technically be decommissioned or upgraded to maintain compliance. Dont know if you saw articles on it but banks and ATM providers paid millions to keep XP supported past EoL.

Hope this gives you a better indication why XP end of life is such a big deal in just one industry alone. Push that out to the rest of the world and you get some indication of the level of market saturation XP still has.

2. Ebey Pradeep August 19, 2014 at 5:41 am

its gonna be windows 7 lol since windows 8 sucks,as far as general opinion is considered ..hackers gonna attack windows 7

3. Katy Pillman August 19, 2014 at 6:53 am

Name a group of people who uses Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows 95. You can’t most likely. Windows XP was way more popular than the previous, and people stopped upgrading at Windows XP, because it worked.

4. Manny Kokolis August 19, 2014 at 8:22 am

5. Eli the Computer Guy August 19, 2014 at 9:42 am

98 had the hell hammered out of it “back in the day”, but XP was so good most people migrated rather quickly. Remember that in the 98 era folks expected to buy new computers every 2-3 years. (Back then I had to learn that the minimum processor speed needed to play a DVD was 300MHz) So even by 2004 most folks had already migrated. The “problem” with XP is that it was installed on machines that most people would still find to be adequately powerful. I don’t want to use a P4 3 GHz machine, but for a lot of folks it’s fine.

Microsoft’s biggest problem with XP is that in many ways they did too good a job… Unfortunately it’s not as good as too many people think.

6. Manny Kokolis August 19, 2014 at 10:44 am

Question: To take Joe’s premise a step further, I haven’t heard a peep about hackers attacking XP vulnerabilities after EoL. Anyone care to weigh in on this?