How to properly post at GeekBrainDump

Old 8 Comments on How to properly post at GeekBrainDump 21

Looking through the articles at the beginning of GeekBrainDump’s awesomeness. It is very difficult to read some author’s articles/posts which may have a good point, but the grammar and styling of it is awful.  So lets get to the most common mistakes.

Definitions:
Your – possessive of you; ex: Your kitchen is on fire.
You’re – you are; ex: You’re bad at grammar.
There – A certain place; ex: There is something over there.
Their – Possessive pronoun; ex:Their grammar sucks.

Those are the most common words misused, I made a mistake myself typing this article.  We all make mistakes, but we got to fix them.

Now for style. Look at my article. It is well spaced out, but not to much. All articles should be spaced out, without caps or random (colors/colours) everywhere.
Also, use proper capitalization like for the noun of I. Others and myself can not stand reading a lowercase ‘i’ all by itself. It is irritating and shows that the author doesn’t really care about the post because they did not proof read it.
Samples
Not Do This: VIEW POST
Do This: VIEW POST

Thanks for reading,
Katy (tsiserver.us)

Katy Pillman

Katy Pillman is the Lead Programmer for Tactician Studios LLC. She is young, but experienced in the technical field, and writes in her free-time. △ ◎ × □

1. Jeff Newman August 9, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Good opportunity to mention that “alot” is NOT a word. It’s “a lot.” Two words. If you’re writing it as a single word, how did you ever get out of school?!

“Allot” IS a word, but it’s probably not what you think it is and doesn’t substitute for “a lot,” though you can certainly allot a lot of something to someone.

If you’re applying for a job and I see “alot” on a resume or another of your writings, you’ve lost the job before we’ve even spoken.

2. Networking Sarasota August 9, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Agreed. I read a lot of articles coming froi to read and comment on are usually the ones you share Eli written by someone else. ;D

Now, given that we are talking about grammar we should probably take a look at this article.

The phrase “we got to fix them”; was that intentionally meant like that or should that be updated to something such as “we have to fix them” or “however, it is our responsibility to fix them”?

Good article and thanks for the share on G+.

Wayne Leiser, IT Director

• Networking Sarasota August 9, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Damn, I checked my comment three times and still have froi instead of from. Ha ha ha ha that wasn’t intentional.

Wayne

3. Gary W. August 9, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Katy – the ability to fix errors after posting would be most helpful.
    Best – Gary W.

4. Bobby Arneth August 10, 2014 at 12:24 am

Good point, I strongly agree 100% with this. I have found myself skimming past more posts, as some people have published what looks like a rough draft by a drunk baby.

At least use the auto-correct, its built in! It’s not about even being perfect, but more for not looking like a careless slob.

5. Ebey Pradeep August 10, 2014 at 5:36 am