Startup Life: What it Means to Grind

Old 7 Comments on Startup Life: What it Means to Grind 17

One of my first IT instructors gave us a lesson I will never forget, “No matter how high you get in this field…. even if you are a CCIE… you’ll still have to run cable.”

He hammered into our heads the idea that at the end of the day your “work” is to get the job done.  And regardless of your degrees, certifications or job titles, if you don’t have some peon around to order to to the dirty work, then it’s your job to do the dirty work.

I’ve been staring at the computer screen this morning doing nothing more technical then Categorizing posts, or removing the “Uncategorized” tag.  It’s tedious, rather boring, and definitely “below” my pay grade.  But it’s the work that needs to be done.

People see me when I am doing my show, or when I’m at an event and folks ask to have pictures taken with me and think, “That’s what I want to do!” But that’s not why I’m successful, and frankly those tasks take up less than 10% of my working time.  Having the discipline to force myself to wake up in the morning and do whatever the equivalent of “running cable” is why I get paid.

Eli Etherton

I am Eli "the Computer Guy" and have been in the tech industry for approx. 20 years doing all kinds of odd projects. I started as an electronics tech in the US Army, worked in corporate IT during the IT Boom, was an individual consultant and grew my tech shop to have numerous full time employees and supported small business clients with computer repair/ server maintenance/ web development/ surveillance systems/ telephone systems until the great recession. After that I started creating video training on all the topics I know and now have a YouTube Channel with over 500K subscribers. I am the founder of GeekBrainDump.com and my plan is to create a tech "news" site that I would actually find useful if I was still in the server room.

1. William Christner July 3, 2014 at 9:14 am

I’m going to remamber that quote, It holds true to just about everything in life.

Thank You for all your Work….(no matter how boring it may be.)

2. Martin Lehner July 3, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Eli is absolutely correct. Just this morning I was busy installing Windows 8.1 on new workstations because unless I helped out, my staff was going to fall behind on a large workstation-deployment we were contracted to do. Now we’re a bit ahead of schedule, but does anyone think it was fun to sit there and install dozens of copies of Windows 8.1 ? Not really, but it had to get done.

3. Andrew Marriott July 4, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Bang on Eli! Your right on the mark, some people in the IT field seem to think that the higher up the ladder they are the less work they need to do. Its pure laziness and its always the ones that don’t deserve to be in those positions.

4. Martin July 16, 2014 at 6:30 am

I know its off topic and petty but the image sizes at the top of these posts is annoying me lol.

I’m pretty sure in the css file its .wp-post-image, set the width to 100%

• Geek Brain July 16, 2014 at 7:17 am

I 100% agree… Once I have finished adding functionality to the site we’ll be doing a professional redesign. At this point I only have time to either… give you Forums, chat, etc… or tweak CSS…

• Martin July 16, 2014 at 9:50 am

I assumed as much, I just get OCD about stupid little things, I’ve found myself losing sleep over a margin being out by 1px.

I’ve used ‘bbPress Topics for Posts’ in the past to stop discussions forking off between comments and forums on the same subject, when I’ve used a forum.

Will follow your sites development with interest, great product you’ve put together so far though and hopefully it becomes less of a chore in time. Niche social networking can be big bucks to the right sponsor and with the exposure you can give this site on your youtube channel, its sure to pay off big eventually.

5. Gainde July 24, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Very true.. thank you Eli.