Computer heating up?

Old 7 Comments on Computer heating up? 63

One of the the most frustrating issue a computer user has is having their system or rig heating up. A lot of people don’t care if their system heats up. Well I am going to tell you why you should care if your  system heats up or not. If your components need to work with high temperatures plus stress it lowers the lifespan especially if you look at a CPU or GPU. Most people overclock their CPU and GPUs but they use water-cooling. What is water-cooling? Water-cooling works like a car’s radiator there are a miniature sized radiator in your PC Case which gets cooled with one or more fans. The block is a component of the water-cooling that gets mounted on the CPU or GPU and gets sealed with a substance called thermal paste. Inside  the block is a pump that pumps out all the hot water that passes trough the radiator and comes into the block cold again to cool off the CPU/GPU.

Well if you do not want a water-cooling system because you afraid you don’t know how to install it or if you are afraid of water dripping onto your motherboard. I can tell you there are lots of other ways to cool down your rig

1) Remove the side-panel – If you remove the side panel more cool air will circulate inside your case. (I would not recommend this if you have a fan build in in your side panel keeping the case closed prevents dust build up which is also a major cause of heat in your system.

2) Install fans – Not only does fans with build in lights cool off your rig it also makes it look nicer in the dark.

3) Replace old thermal paste – I can’t tell you how many times this worked or me.  By replacing thermal paste my temperatures dropped 10°C.

4) Cool down the room your PC is in – If you open a window and it will drop the room temperature by 5°C it will also drop your PC’s temp by 5°C.

5) Cable management – A lot of people argue with this one but it is a proven fact if you keep your cables inside your case nice and tidy the air flow to all of the components will improve. Resulting in a cooler running system.

6) Cleaning dust build up – I previously mentioned to open the side panel, this is a BAD idea if you do not clean your PC regularly. Dust build up clogs fans inside your case which results in a overall warmer system.

7) Allow air to flow trough your case – If your PC is flat against and no air is going trough you can speed up the heating process a lot. Leave at least two inches of space between any obstacles that are in the way of airflow.

8) Don’t overclock!   – I do not recommend you overclocking your rig if it is heating up this lowers the lifespan of the components you are overclocking. If you want to overclock your CPU don’t use a stock cooler. Replacing with a decent cooler or watercooling will bare you better results and temperatures

If you have read this far thanks for reading and leave a comment below on where I can improve my writing. I am not a grammar Nazi so I make a few language mistakes 🙂

Anton Roos

Email: far.roos@live.com

1. Scot / Neo February 13, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I just wanted to comment on the Systems heating up Article
    I take my system out at least every 2 or 3 months and open it up and take the wet dry vac . on reverse and blow the hell out of it ..
    I’ve seen systems lost due to heat …

Well any way Thanks for all you guys do …

Scot

• Anton Roos February 14, 2014 at 9:40 am

Thanks for reading I hope you have at least learned something out of my post. I am glad if you did.

2. David Scholten February 13, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Another option when it comes to dust control is filters on the air intakes. You can either purchase these (Amazon, Newegg, etc) or make your own out of a variety of items your probably have around the house. You can get cheap air return vent filters from walmart, etc that you could cut up to the size you need. I’ve also heard of folks using panty hose, used dryer softener sheets, etc. I would just make sure that if you go this route you want to still make sure you have good air flow and also make sure that you clean the filters often.

What people should know is that they shouldn’t be afraid to clean out their desktops. (Laptops are another issue for another time) There are of course a couple things to note though. Take note of all of the cables. If you need to disconnect any cables you need to know where they came from. Disconnect the power before you do any physical work to your computer. I know many of us don’t disconnect the power but if you short circuit, fry, zap or otherwise kill your pc it no one’s fault but yours.

You can easily clean a pc with a normal home vacuum that has a hose attachment. Make sure you don’t bang anything while vacuuming. Also, when vacuuming around the fan try to keep them from spinning too much as this can cause them to spin to quickly which will wear them out faster if not right then and there. Easiest thing to do is to put your finger infront of the fan blade or use the eraser end of a pencil. Another option (which is often paired well with vacuuming) is canned air (or in my case, the exhuast port of my shop vac) which can be very helpful for getting the dust out of hard to reach areas such as around cd/dvd drives, between fans and heat sinks or to blow out the power sourse. Again, you need to be gentle and not bang into anything or allow the fans to spin up.

I usually like to take the pc outside before blowing it out as you’ll obviously stir up a lot of dust which if done inside can be bad for you (and others) if you breathe in the dust.

3. vns990 February 22, 2014 at 9:44 am

Hmm to many bad habits being revealed here 😉
    Cases sides of especially on 40C days almost compulsory in some cases (use with caution more dust inbound coffee peoples faces ect).

Cleaning Beware not to spin your fans up past max rpm with air tools you will cactus the bearing.

Hard Disks usually get stinking hot like the chips do and it’s probably the biggest cause of component failure.

Things are getting smaller working harder and so it goes on.
    Keeping it cool has been the 4GHz barrier as was said years ago.
    And still haunts us to this day.

Overclocking is just asking for trouble in most cases.
    It ratchets up the error ratio in lamens terms.

It will go faster but it will be more prone to making a mistake and chances are OS fatal exception time.

And not good if your trying to do vital calculations where you really don’t want it making mistakes or BSODing whilst doing something crucial.

Down the staircase it goes not production stable to say the least.
    And not where you want to be if your IT.

4. vns990 February 22, 2014 at 10:05 am

Definitely disconnect power on legacy machines it might save your life.
    Just on the of chance you have a death trap PSU.

I have heard stories of pc’s that ran fine whilst having live cases.

I put it down to urban myth until I got a tingle at work one day from a customers machine.
    Seldom ever does it happen but when it does all the warnings ring bells then.
    Usually things should just go pop and bang if for eg the PSU over voltages.
    Or a live rail somehow arcs over.

And it makes an interesting argument as to using static straps.
    Many attach them to the case err.

After getting zotted by pc’s with out such great conductivity in place may I remind people. Use static straps ONLY when mainboard is removed completely.

The hooking of static straps to the case is a bad idea counter to what a lot of aherm A+ certification has taught over the years.

You can see how a lof of the volatile ram got nuked back then.

5. Steve February 23, 2014 at 3:18 pm

As a computer design engineer for over 30 years, I can say that one thing you should NOT do is run a computer without the side(s) or top!! The air-flow is designed to flow in one end, over internal components and out of the other. If you do remove the sides, you may find your hard disks are getting much hotter than they were before as they need air flow to keep cool – or that the mainboard components get hotter than they did before. Also, the sides are either metal or metal-coated and they provide Radio Frequency screening – it is illegal to run them without the correct screening as you could be causing interference (it may even interfere with your own home WiFi signal!). It will also attract dust.
    All in all – not a good idea!
    Be careful when touching CPU fans, many cheap ones can be damaged so that they sometimes don’t start just by applying downwards pressure to one of the blades. This bends the pin and sleeve bearing. Decent CPU fans should use (Japanese) ball bearings.

6. Steve March 29, 2014 at 3:37 am

Good stuff. Common problem among laptop owners. Computer shuts off unexpectedly. Easy money just taking an air compressor and blowing all the fan and vent areas.