What Makes Ubuntu Linux Special

Old 12 Comments on What Makes Ubuntu Linux Special 398

Of all the current Linux operating systems, and I have used them all at one time or another, the Ubuntu system is (in my opinion) the best of all of them. The Ubuntu community forum is a collaborative project, open to anyone to help on a large open share creation plan, fine tuning what it has become into the best possible version that all of the collaborators around the world could come up with. The Ubuntu system can operate on your computer, server, cloud, phone, tablet or TV. It is quickly becoming the premier operating system on the Linux line. Contributers to the collaboration come from many areas of expertise. There are developers who write packages, proof checkers and documentation checkers, graphics design, background and theme design, translators representing every language in the world, and quality checkers working with bug reports.

Most Ubuntu users will agree that the community forum is one of those special features that makes it well worth using. If you have a problem doing anything you need to with the program, you can go into the forum and get real life advice from other, more skilled, users. Some users like the look and feel of Ubuntu over its Microsoft counterpart; people are getting bored looking at the same logo every day for 20 years, whereas Ubuntu offers stylish backgrounds, with design and color schemes that appeal to contemporary society in a subdued and understated way. If you are in any way inclined to want to build a program, the community forum offers members the chance to pull their skills together and create whatever type of programs are wanted. Also, whatever your Windows system does, your Ubuntu will do as well. Having been chosen by third world countries’ governments for a few years now, Ubuntu is being recognized worldwide as a force to be reckoned with.

One of the main reasons why Ubuntu has gained such a foothold around the world is because it is free. Not only is it free, but the overall quality and usefulness of the system far surpasses Microsoft’s operating systems because the word-processor, spreadsheet and presentation software are not available on the normal Windows operating system; they must be purchased in the form of Microsoft Office. This, in contrast, to Linux’s Ubuntu; an all encompassing package that has the same features as its competitor and most essentially,the ability to integrate with any other operating system. I have two computers in my house at present; one running a Microsoft operating system and the other my favorite Linux Ubuntu. The Ubuntu is faster than the Microsoft programs, easier to understand, and the only thing I have wanted to do so far but couldn’t because I was using Ubuntu is being able to type in the Times New Roman font. At that, I am told I will be able to download the font onto my Ubuntu, as such is the way with the Linux community, when they see a problem they fix it. Or in my case, a desired add-on.

Appealing to still more categories, Ubuntu offers a huge advantage over its competition. There is a built in driver set which allows automatic downloading and installing anything from web-cams, Wi-Fi, Ethernet Cards, scanners or printers. Also, compared to Windows 7 Ubuntu has far less requirements. Where Ubuntu needs a minimum of 700 Mhz processor and 348 MB of RAM to run, Windows 7 requires a 1000 Mhz processor with 1GB of RAM. The booting time is considerably less in Ubuntu, and it will work perfectly on any computer, regardless of age or make. This is one all around operating system. Tests have measured that when installed into two brand new computers of same make and model, the Ubuntu system runs significantly faster than the Windows system.

Michael Mulcreevy

Michael Mulcreevy is a writer and researcher and studied sustainability. He has special interests in technological advancements in the computer age and writes on all things current and future based such as systems for community resilience.

1. Rick February 12, 2014 at 8:23 pm

No to mention linux kernel used by 64-bit system can theoretically recognize up to 17.2 billion GB of physical memory. Which makes that more awesome

2. cris February 13, 2014 at 6:48 am

Hi.
    I used also ubuntu a while ago, but there were some problems with it. And the problem persisted when i installed ubuntu on another computer. The unity “something” (i don’t remember exactly) was crashing every hour…or at least once every day. Also, every day, or every two days, my ubuntu made updates. And after using it 6 months i installed windows 7. The thing is that happened a yer…or a year and a half ago. I don’t know if this problems still persists. Also, in my opinion, the real advantage of a linux operating system, is on a server, not on a personal computer. And therefore, it would be great if you could make more videos with linux on servers (examples: web-servers on a linux server, mail servers, installing control panels to administrate these services…and so on)

3. Travis February 13, 2014 at 10:51 am

You’ve tried them all? You’ve installed and used all Linux Distro’s, which are hundreds of them, and found Ubuntu to be the best? You’ve obviously not tried them all, nor used any of them for longer than ten minutes to draw that conclusion.

• Benjamin March 10, 2014 at 12:53 am

I stand by Travis’s comment on the “Ubuntu being the best Linux distro.” To fully understand Linux would take an average person about six months to a year of moderate to intense studying by learning the GUI side and the CLI side.

• Casey March 13, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I also agree that Ubuntu is the best Linus distro, especially for beginners. There may be others that are more specialized, but I think what makes Ubuntu great is it’s incredible amount of community support

4. Christopher Chavez February 13, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Ubuntu desktop works, but definatly not the best. I have used Zorin, Mint, Archbang, Antergos (Arch with your choice of desktop enviorment, I use Cinnamon) and Ubuntu’s Unity desktop is a turnoff. Now if you like Ubuntu and something that has a traditional taskbar Linux Mint 16 is your distro. It comes completly polished and will play YouTube videos right out of the box. And Mint is a Ubuntu derivative so all the Ubuntu help forms will work on Mint as well plus Mint has its own form.
    On the other hand Ubuntu has a great server os and platform. I forgot what it is called but basicly you have a GUI interface and send updates to all of your servers and desktops and manage everything. Also there tablet os is under develpment and it looks promising.
    So Ubuntu has its strenghts but their desktop is definatly not it.

5. Andrei Telteu February 15, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Ubuntu is very good, but the developers run away !
    The developing team of Ubuntu is getting smaller.
    For me linux is still having bugs.
    The most stable linux distribution i have used is manjaro. Is stable, fast, easy, clean, simple. You should try it.

6. Luca Francesca February 18, 2014 at 1:23 am

And Debian, original from where ubuntu started, is even more fast and require less.

7. John Rolf February 23, 2014 at 11:41 am

I put Ubuntu on one of my machines and I have definitely grown to like it. To say that it is the best Linux distribution out there might be a stretch, but to be honest I haven’t tried too many of them yet. The business world is still a Windows heavy environment. Hopefully open source projects like this will change that though!

8. Casey March 13, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I started using Ubuntu at the beginning of this year, so far I absolutely love it! It is incredibly easy to use and practically every issue that I’ve had was solved by a quick search on the Ubuntu community forums. I honestly prefer it to Windows, for me the only reason I’m still running windows on my desktop is for gaming. Hopefully there will be more support for Linux in the future.

9. Aaron Babitzke March 29, 2014 at 3:54 am

All of them??? Take a look a distrowatch and tell me you tired every distro on there minus the BSDs.
    Ubuntu has had it’s issues, and it has its place. I don’t use it as a desktop anymore as I moved on to arch which has more up to date packages. For server Ubuntu LTS is OK, no GUI.

10. Audun June 12, 2014 at 9:15 pm

The biggest problem with Ubuntu is that the OS does not treat the idea of GNU/Linux and free software properly. They first and foremost promotes DRM and spyware software over free software with their software center, and sending personal information to Amazon for ad revenue. I would recommend Debian for anyone who wants to start with Linux.